Never one to shy away from getting hands on with the animal kingdoms greatest hunters, “Deadly 60” presenter Steve Backshall gets to grips with the heavy-bodied king of the squeeze.
The strongman of the snake world, a boa constrictor is capable of exerting 6 to 12 lbs per square inch of pressure, and literally squeezes the life out of its prey, as Steve found when he tested this… on himself!
Not a situation many of us would like to find ourselves in. Here’s how to behave around the big guns.
• Back off: If you come across a snake, especially a big one, give it a wide berth. They’re shy and would rather be left alone.
• An angry snake is a dangerous snake: don’t poke or harass them, you could be asking for trouble.
• Leave it to the experts: Dealing with snakes is a tricky business. Steve is an expert herpetologist, and is used to handling snakes.
• Help at hand: Never handle big constricting snakes alone. Steve had a number of strong men at hand to remove the snake if he got too hot under the collar.
• Remain calm: Director Nikki ensured no one startled the snake as it may cause it to tighten its grip further.
• Medical help: When attempting to handle a big snake like this, director Nikki ensured that the team consisted of first aiders, and local snake experts.