People believe crazy things.The lunar landing was faked; a secret band of “lizard people” controls our society. New survey data from Public Policy Polling released on Tuesday shows notable percentages of Americans embrace a wide variety of conspiracy theories, from Bigfoot to the CIA creating the crack epidemic.
PPP found that:
- 37 percent of voters believe global warming is a hoax
- 6 percent of voters don’t believe that Osama bin Laden is dead
- 28 percent of voters believe “secretive power elite with a globalist agenda is conspiring to eventually rule the world through an authoritarian world government, or New World Order”
- 7 percent of voters think man did not actually walk on the moon
- 13 percent of voters think President Obama is the anti-Christ
- 14 percent of voters believe in Bigfoot
- 44 percent believe George W. Bush intentionally misled the US about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq
Screeeeech. Stop the crazy train. What? Bush did lie about WMD. That’s not a wacky conspiracy theory; it is quite well documented at this point. That’s a topic for another poll.