UPDATE: The Supreme Court upheld Obamacare.
The Supreme Court will release its decision on the fate of President Barack Obama’s landmark health care reform, a.k.a. Obamacare, shortly after 10 a.m. on Thursday morning. No one really knows what they’ll do. In the meantime, the Mother Jones DC bureau figured you could use some tunes. So here it is: your Supreme Court/Obamacare Decision Day playlist. Enjoy!
- We have to start out with a barn burner to get everyone psyched up. (The great Bob Dylan has his own list of doctor-related songs. We’re only going to borrow this one, though.) The White Stripes, “Girl You Have No Faith in Medicine”:
- This one goes out to Randy Barnett. The Mandates, “Photo in My Wallet”:
- For the Gen-Xers. The Thompson Twins, “Doctor Doctor”:
- This one goes out to the previous Democratic attempt at health care reform, Hillarycare, which turned out to be a lot less popular than this song. Spin Doctors, “Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong”:
- This song is dedicated to Justice Samuel Alito, who is from New Jersey and therefore required by law to love Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen. Bon Jovi, “Bad Medicine”:
“Killing Me Softly With His Song,” the Fugees’ version (with Lauryn Hill on lead vocals):
- This one’s a two-fer. Dr. Dre, “Nothin But a G Thang,” going out to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and “Big Egos,” going out to the whole high court:
- This one goes out to Justice Antonin Scalia, obviously. Dana Carvey, “Choppin’ Broccoli.”
- Our final tune goes out to the members of the DC press corps, who have been waiting for the Supreme Court to give them the news for quite some time now. Robert Palmer, “Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)”: